Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Space Value Judgments

I've been thinking a lot more about space as an indicator of value. As a general rule, the more space you give to something, the more you value it.

My current company, Robert Stephen Consulting, assesses the amount of space a company devotes to its various activities compares that with the total space available, so our clients cam come to conclusions about whether the space is used effectively.

Space is a type of capital, like currency or labor. It can be managed much like money and time can be, though not nearly as liquid. It has been a change of perspective for to look at it as a commodity.

At work, we consider cubicles, office spaces, and circulation space. But I've begun to look at my closet space, desk space, garage space, and storage space in a similar way. Am I using my space effectively? Do my space allocations match the value I attach to the objects and activities in my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment